June 15, 2012
2012 User Experience Award Winners Announced
NEW YORK, June 14, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The User Experience Awards, the premiere international competition that celebrates and honors exceptional digital products and services based on superior user experience, today announced the winners of the 2012 UX Awards juried competition after a packed ceremony and reception that was held on Tuesday June 12 2012 in New York City.
The 2012 Winners
The 2012 UX Awards were given at four levels: Grand Prize, Gold, Silver and Honorable Mention. The Grand Prize winner received 00, a crystal trophy and champagne; Gold winners received 0 and trophies; Silver winners received a trophy and champagne; and Honorable Mentions received framed plaques.
The ten 2012 Awards winners represented the full diversity of today’s digital landscape, including large tech firms, cutting-edge startups, government, non-profits and digital agencies, and included:
- GRAND PRIZE for Best User Experience: Bloomberg Anywhere by Mobients and Bloomberg LP
- GOLD for Best System Experience: Ice Cream Sandwich OS by Google Android Team
- GOLD for Best Touch Interaction: Mill Touch by The Mill
- GOLD for Best Cross-Platform Experience: HBO GO Mobile Apps by HUGE Inc. for client HBO
- SILVER for Best Instructional Experience: Tutorial Player for Photoshop by Adobe
- SILVER for Best Discovery Experience: Art.sy
- SILVER for Best Transactional Experience: Event Page Ticket Interface by SeatGeek
- HONORABLE MENTION for Pick a President, Not a Party: by LBi US for client Americans Elect
- HONORABLE MENTION for Maryland Transit Administration Interactive Maintenance Kiosk by ScreenPlay InterActive for client Maryland Transit Administration
- HONORABLE MENTION for BKIN Wayfinding System by Studio Akko and Formant Studios
Full details of the awards winners are available on the UX Awards website: userexperienceawards.com/2012-winners/
The Judging Process
The 2012 Awards received over 65 submissions, almost three times the number of submissions from the prior year, forcing tough decisions by the judges. Decision-making was done using a combination of points-based ranking by each judge and group consensus for the final Awards. The process was described in detail during the event.
About the User Experience Awards
Now in its second year, the User Experience Awards aim to raise awareness of the value and importance of great UX in creating effective, engaging and useful digital products and services in today’s fast-evolving and competitive digital landscape.
The User Experience Awards are the brainchild of Beverly May and are organized by Oxford Technology Ventures LLC, a boutique user experience and product strategy consultancy in New York, with partner support from the major User Experience and usability professional organizations in NYC, including NYC-CHI, the NY Chapter of IXDA and the NY Chapter of the UPA.
The Panelists and Moderator
The 2012 judges and moderator included a representation across the cutting edge of tech and digital media, including panelists from top technology companies, venture capital firms, startups and creative agencies. The 2012 judges included:
- Bryan Hamilton, Vice President of User Experience, Razorfish
- Christian Crumlish, Director of Product, CloudOn; best-selling UX Author; co-chair of Bay-CHI
- Gary Chou, General Manager, Union Square Ventures
- Kathy Baxter, Sr. User Experience Researcher & UX Infrastructure Manager, Google; respected UX Author
- Nicole Rubin, Senior Consulting Director, Creative Good
- Paul Berry, CEO and Founder of RebelMouse and Soho Tech Lab; former CTO, Huffington Post
- Peter March, Director of User Experience for VML’s New York office; member of steering committee of NY chapter of IxDA
- Ronnie Battista, UX Practice Lead at Slalom Consulting; Treasurer/Director of Certification at UPA International; co-creator of Rutgers’ University Mini-MS in UX Design
- Beverly May, Founder & President of Oxford Technology Ventures LLC and MiniDates.com; President of NYC-CHI (Moderator)
Full biographies of panelists and the moderator are available at userexperienceawards.com/panelists/
The User Experience Awards logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=13295
Photos accompanying this release are available at: http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=13294
CONTACT:Beverly May User Experience Awards organizer Beverly@UserExperienceAwards.com 917-599-7694